Application Period Closed
ASCO Institutions May Apply for Grants to Fund On-Site Cultural Competency Curriculum Guidelines Implementation Workshops
The application process for the ASCO Curriculum Guidelines for Culturally Competent Eye and Vision Care Workshop Grant Program has reopened. The program provides funds to schools and colleges of optometry for on-site Cultural Competency Curriculum Guidelines Implementation Workshops. The workshops demonstrate how to use the ASCO Guidelines for Culturally Competent Eye and Vision Care to incorporate topics and experiences in cultural competency into the optometric curriculum. Depending on the needs of each institution, a workshop runs approximately 2-4 hours. A grant pays for travel, housing and per diem for two facilitators as well as materials used during the workshop.
Grants are generously funded by Walmart.
The Cultural Competency Curriculum Guidelines Subcommittee of the ASCO Optometry Diversity and Cultural Competency Committee will review applications based on the following criteria:
- The percentage of the institution’s faculty, administrators and staff who are committed to participating in the workshop
- The commitment of workshop participants to complete the following prior to the workshop:
- take an online self-awareness survey
- read two pre-workshop materials:
- take a reading materials pre-workshop quiz
- determine the demographics in their area and share the results with assigned ASCO facilitators
- Evidence of an institutional commitment to diversity and cultural competency, with an intention to integrate cultural competency training into numerous courses, workshops and clinical experiences in the optometric curriculum through lectures, interactive exercises, discussions, case study analysis, journal-keeping, readings, web-based learning, videos, diverse patient care opportunities and other strategies.
Application Process — The 2014 application process is closed.
The dean or president of an ASCO member institution should submit an application letter to Carol Brubaker, Liaison, Cultural Competency Curriculum Guidelines Subcommittee, by Monday, August 18, 2014. The letter can be e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to: 1017 Chumley Rd., Virginia Beach, VA 23451. The letter should discuss the participants, their commitment to perform the pre-workshop activities and participate fully in the workshop, and evidence of institutional commitment to diversity and cultural competency. No budget or budget justification will be necessary because workshop expenses will be covered by ASCO through the Walmart grant. The institution is encouraged to demonstrate support for the workshop by providing a room with audio-visual capability, offering light food for the participants, and publicizing the workshop internally so that attendance is maximized.